PLEASE NOTE: Your appointment is at our office in the Rockyview Health Centre, NOT the Rockyview Hospital. (See our home page for a map and directions.)
What to Expect:
Before Your First Pre-natal Appointment:
Please print and complete the “New Patient Questionnaire" . If you are unable to print it, review and consider the questions prior to your first appointment, then come in 20 minutes early for your appointment and we will give you a copy of the questionnaire for you to complete before your scheduled appointment. Please bring your provincial health care card. Ensure that it is accurate. If you need to update it, you may visit the Alberta Health Care Website.
At Your First Pre-natal Appointment (10-12 weeks) (Download )
- There is a lot to discuss at your first pre-natal appointment. Expect to be at the office for 1-1.5 hours. With this in mind, please plan your work, other appointments, child care, and parking needs accordingly.
- If you have not completed the “new patient questionnaire,” you will need to do so prior to meeting with Marilyn Scoville, our PCN nurse. Marilyn’s services are kindly provided through our association with the Calgary West Central Primary Care Network (CWCPCN).
- Marilyn will introduce you to our office, review your medical history, the father of the baby’s medical history, both family histories, medications, allergies, and lifestyle issues such as diet, vitamins, exercise, appropriate weight gain, smoking, alcohol, street drugs, and potential occupational health issues.
- Marilyn will review any test results which have been forwarded by your referring doctor. If there is anything missing, she will arrange for you to complete all of the initial investigations.
- Genetic testing options will be reviewed and can be set up for you, if desired. If you need to discuss these options further with your doctor, there will be an opportunity to do so.
- Marilyn will provide you with a requisition for your 18-20 week ultrasound and you can book this appointment for yourself. This ultrasound is primarily to confirm the position of the placenta and to assess the anatomy and amniotic fluid.
- After your visit with Marilyn, our LPN's will check your height, weight, and blood pressure measurement, then show you to an exam room. Each new patient will meet her primary doctor at this first visit. Your doctor will review your history and discuss any issues which are likely to be relevant to your pregnancy. There will be time for any questions you may have. We will want to make certain at this first visit that we are an appropriate fit for your medical needs. Over the years, we have found that continuity of care with your primary doctor provides the best care. This is most easily accomplished if you book your follow up appointments before you leave the office. In this way, you have the most options for dates and times which you prefer. Occasionally your doctor may not be available for the date and time you require. In these instances, one of our other doctors would be pleased to assist you.
Subsequent Office Visits:
Your office visits will be as follows:
From the first vist to 30 weeks - Monthly
30-36 weeks - every 2 weeks
36 weeks to delivery - weekly
For a detailed breakdown of what to expect at these appointments, please download or view this pdf document. What to Expect